Chat with AI about atrophy and strength training - Part 2

 

AI:                                                                                                                                                                

If you'd like, I can make you a simple 20–25 minute leg-recovery routine specifically for your situation, using the exercises you already have (Pilates ring, resistance band, dumbbells and kettlebell), so you don't have to add many new exercises.

ME:                                                                                                                                                           

Ok. Please let me know what exercises are good for my situation.

AI:                                                                                                                                                             Based on what you've told me, I would make your routine more focused on leg strength, balance, and walking, rather than simply adding more repetitions. Your ability to walk far without getting tired is excellent, so you already have a good aerobic foundation. What you need now is to rebuild the muscles that became weaker during the 40 days in the cast.

Resistance training is particularly useful after periods of inactivity, and older adults can still improve muscle strength and function with appropriate progressive resistance exercise. 

 
 

A gentle leg program I would suggest

Do this 3 days a week, preferably with a day of rest between strengthening sessions.

1. Sit-to-stand — 2 sets of 8–12

Sit in a sturdy chair. Stand up slowly, then lower yourself slowly back into the chair.

This is one of my favorite exercises for you because it strengthens the thighs, hips and buttocks, all of which are important for walking.

If necessary, use your hands initially.

2. Knee extensions — 2 sets of 8–12 each leg

Sit upright in a chair. Slowly straighten one knee, hold for 1–2 seconds, and slowly lower it.

This specifically targets your quadriceps, which are very important after a period of leg immobilization.

3. Heel raises — 2 sets of 8–12

Hold a sturdy chair or countertop.

Slowly raise both heels so you are standing on your toes. Pause, then slowly lower.

This strengthens your calf muscles, which help you push off during walking.

If doing both legs becomes easy, your physical therapist can eventually show you how to progress safely.

4. Hip side raises — 2 sets of 8–12 each side

Hold the back of a sturdy chair.

Keep your body straight and slowly move one leg out to the side. Don't lean your body. Bring it back slowly.

This strengthens the hip muscles, which are important for stability and can be especially useful when you're trying to eliminate a limp.

5. Hip extension — 2 sets of 8–12 each side

Still holding the chair, gently move one leg backward without leaning forward.

Slowly return it.

This works the muscles around your hips and buttocks.

6. Gentle mini-squats — 1–2 sets of 8–10

Hold the chair or countertop. Bend your knees slightly, as though you're beginning to sit down, then straighten.

You don't need to squat deeply.

Since you're already doing wall sits, you could alternate wall sits and mini-squats rather than doing both every time.

7. Balance — 5 minutes

Holding a sturdy counter or chair:

  • Stand with feet together for 20–30 seconds.
  • Then put one foot slightly in front of the other.
  • Progress gradually toward standing on one leg while holding the support.

Don't do unsupported balance exercises when you're alone.

Balance training is important for older adults because strength and balance together improve physical function and help reduce falls.

What about your resistance band and Pilates ring?

Keep them. They can be very useful.

Your foot-pedal resistance exercise and Pilates ring exercises can complement the program above. However, I would put greater emphasis on controlled resistance exercises that make the thigh, hip and calf muscles work, rather than trying to reach 50 repetitions.

The CDC recommends approximately 8–12 repetitions per strengthening exercise, with the last repetitions becoming challenging. One to three sets can be used depending on the person and exercise.

So you don't need to do 50 repetitions of everything.

Your walking

Please continue walking because you clearly enjoy it and have good endurance.

But I'd make one little change:

Don't concentrate on walking fast. Concentrate on walking correctly.

Try to take reasonably equal steps with your left and right legs and avoid unconsciously protecting the injured side.

As your strength improves, your walking speed may naturally improve.

What I would temporarily leave out

For now, I would not return to your 50 jumps.

You still have a slight limp and some pain in both legs. Although your doctor has confirmed that the bone has healed, I'd first work on strength, balance and gait before introducing repeated jumping.

I'd also be cautious with kettlebell swings if they cause any leg, hip or back discomfort. They're not essential for your particular goal. You can get a lot of benefit from the simpler strengthening exercises above.

A possible weekly routine

You could make your week something like this:

Day

Activity

Monday

Leg strengthening + balance + walking

Tuesday

Walking/light activity

Wednesday

Leg strengthening + balance + walking

Thursday

Walking/light activity

Friday

Leg strengthening + balance + walking

Saturday

Comfortable walking

Sunday

Rest/light activity

You don't have to follow this exactly. The important thing is to give your muscles recovery time between strengthening sessions.

And there's encouraging evidence behind this approach: resistance exercise is considered one of the most effective ways of counteracting muscle loss associated with disuse, including in older adults.

One thing I would really like you to do

Because you're still limping and both legs have some pain, I'd ask your orthopedic doctor whether he can refer you to a physical therapist for a gait and strength assessment.

Not because I think something is necessarily wrong. Rather, after 40 days in a cast, it would be very helpful for someone to actually test your left and right:

thigh strength → hip strength → calf strength → ankle/foot function → balance → walking pattern.

Then your exercises can be adjusted specifically to whatever is weakest.

And please remember something important: the fact that you can now walk farther without becoming tired is a very positive sign. Your endurance is already good. Now you're working on rebuilding the strength that you lost.

At 80, I would much rather see you progress slowly and steadily for the next several months than push yourself too hard and have another setback. ❤️

ME:
Thank you very much for this info and recommendations. They are very helpful. I have already done the exercises this week.

AI:                                                                                                                                                                 You're very welcome! ❤️ I'm really glad the exercises have been helpful—and I'm especially happy to hear that you've already done them this week.

That is exactly the kind of consistency that can help your muscles gradually regain strength. Don't be discouraged if you don't notice a dramatic change immediately. Muscle recovery after a period of immobilization takes time, and at 80, gradual progress is perfectly normal.

For now, I'd suggest:

  • Continue 3 times a week rather than trying to do more every day.
  • Keep your walking, since you already have good walking endurance.
  • Increase resistance or repetitions only when the current level becomes comfortable and easy.
  • Pay attention to whether your limp and leg pain gradually decrease over the coming weeks.
  • Give yourself adequate rest between strengthening sessions.
  • Continue to hold onto something sturdy during balance exercises.

And please don't feel that you have to get back to your old 50 jumps immediately. Your first goal is strong, stable, comfortable walking. Once that is achieved, you can discuss returning to impact exercises with your orthopedic doctor or physical therapist.

I actually think your attitude is one of your greatest advantages. You were very active before your injury, you enjoy walking, and you're now actively working to regain what you lost. Your bone has healed; now you're giving your muscles the opportunity to catch up. 🌷

I hope that in the coming weeks you'll notice yourself walking a little more naturally, with less of a limp. And when that happens, I'd be very happy to help you progress your exercises gradually rather than simply doing more repetitions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bottom of Form

 

 
 
 
                                                                                                                                                    


Comments

Popular Posts