LONGING FOR HEAVEN

I will be the same until your old age, and I will bear you up when you turn gray.   I have made you, and I will carry you;  I will bear and rescue you.  (Isaiah 46:4)

It is now 2024.  Eight years had passed since I became compliant with the first part of Psalm 90:10:  “The days of our lives are seventy years”.

I am quoting below what I have read from the Seniors’ Devotional Bible.

“Contrary to popular thinking, God never meant old age to be a curse.  Nor was the physical process of aging meant to be hidden out of embarrassment by the excessive use of cosmetics or cosmetic surgery.  To be old was not meant to be a cause of shame; rather the Bible presents old age as a state to be desired for oneself and honored by others.  Indeed, the only  one of the Ten commandments connected with a promise offers long life as the incentive (Exodus 20:12).

William F. Buckley, Jr.  stated something to the effect that, ‘while a love of life is healthy, a veneration of age is idolatry.’  Consistent with that thought, he had observed that Christ would not have died on the cross if He had venerated life.  His point was well taken.  When the Bible speaks of old age as a blessing and even a reward, it encourages a love of life, not its worship.

Wrinkles in the face and furrows on the brow can be distinguishing signs of wisdom, to be honored in those who have endured and grown and contributed with their lives, and who now have a distilled reservoir of knowledge to offer those who are still young.”

I am aware that because of weak lungs and bothersome colon-related disease, I might die (if not by accident or heart attack), of either of the two causes (maybe of pneumonia or of colon cancer).  My prayer is that God will take me only when I have already done all the things I need to do for myself and my family – spiritually, financially and emotionally.  I eliminated the physical aspect because I am no longer strong as I was before, although I can still do some physical things for them right now.

One time, when I went to a doctor for some ailment, I casually asked him, “why is it that people had to suffer from sickness that will cause death, why not just die when it’s time to go?”  I think the doctor thought that it was a silly question.  He just laughed it off.  In my opinion, if a person is old and has a happy life, no sickness or debilitating disease, he would be content living in this world, wouldn’t he?  For sure, he would not long for heaven.

God’s will is for His children to live a life that is pleasing to Him, and to finally join Him in heaven where His redeemed will worship Him in glory.

As days go by in my twilight years, I become more and more aware that my time on earth is dwindling.  I can already feel that I am not as strong as I was ten years ago; I cannot walk as fast as I did ten years ago.  I can feel some aches in some parts of my body.  Yet, there is always the assurance that my body is only a temporary dwelling of my soul, and that ultimately, it will be transformed into a body that will not deteriorate, a glorious body in heaven.

Thank You, Lord for your promise to give me a glorious body in heaven, a body that will not be subjected to illness or death. What a joyful scene that will be in Your presence. Together with my redeemed loved ones and all those You have redeemed,we will be worshipping and singing praises to You!

Comments

Popular Posts